vilja

Vilja Reads

I'm a student, so I don't have nearly as much time for leisure reading as I'd like. If I manage to read an entire course book instead of just the assigned chapters, I'll review that here, too.

How do you like it so far? Rubbish!

I apologize for the Morecambe and Wise quote in the subject line. You could argue that one can never have too much Morecambe and Wise, but it's not really appropriate for the content.

I've only just created my BookLikes account yesterday. It doesn't look that way, but that's because I imported all my old entries from GoodReads. So what's my impression so far? Mostly positive. I love that the blog is rather obviously a blog, that reviews are blog posts and can be tagged, and the general look and feel.

I don't like it asking me to sign in with Facebook, but it's not like GoodReads doesn't, or that every book page is linked to Amazon in such a visible way (dollar signs on my hobby blogs are always a slight stylistic turn-off, and Amazon isn't the only bookseller out there), or the fact that I can't seem to find a search field for searching my own reviews. BookLikes also seems to have fewer books in registry, or at least with cover images, than GoodReads.

But that's all basically fine. Sites need to make their money, and the comfortable interface and sense of novelty are still making this all a pleasure. But here's a really creepy thing that happened: Apparently BookLikes decided to MAKE my account follow a number of random BookLikes blogs. Not even official BookLikes blogs, just random users.

What. The lump.

I've unfollowed the lot, but it's made me rather suspicious of the site. Not cool, BookLikes, Not cool.

I'll let it pass, since it's probably just something they do to newbies, but if this happens again, I'm out of here.