vilja

Vilja Reads

I'm a student, so I don't have nearly as much time for leisure reading as I'd like. If I manage to read an entire course book instead of just the assigned chapters, I'll review that here, too.

Rachel Rising Volume 1: The Shadow of Death

Rachel Rising: The Shadow of Death - Terry Moore Need. More. Please. Now.

I'm a huge snob when it comes to comics. If I don't love it, I don't read it (except webcomics because ehh, free, and one has time that needs wasting). It's been a while since I read anything this good.

Unlike early Strangers in Paradise, Rachel Rising is paced and spaced to accommodate the story the author knows he wants to tell. It's a classic horror story, elevated by Moore's talent for character building and interaction, and the detail.

My only criticism is one that I wouldn't usually give to a graphic novel, aka has to do with the art (I read GNs for the stories, though great art doesn't hurt). (Spoiler warning!) The ghost witch looked exactly like Rachel, but then Rachel talks to her and doesn't touch on the subject that they have the exact same face, so I have to assume that they're... not SUPPOSED to be copies of each other? It's a bit confusing. Could they maybe have different hairstyles...?

Whatever, now I need to get more!