vilja

Vilja Reads

I'm a student, so I don't have nearly as much time for leisure reading as I'd like. If I manage to read an entire course book instead of just the assigned chapters, I'll review that here, too.

Stranger in My Arms

Stranger in My Arms - Lisa Kleypas The first thing you should know about this novel is that the hero is utterly repulsive. Oh no, wait. The first thing you should know is to not pick this book up if you have rape/abuse triggers. The second is... you know what, it kind of follows from the first.

Or does it? I gather from Smart Bitches, Trashy Books that a lot of romance readers (not the illustrious, funny and very recommended Bitches themselves) like their heroes committing the occasional sexual assault.

I KNOW. WHAT.

Don't get me wrong, this fellow merely blackmails the heroine first into a shaming see-through negligee, and later into sex, though he takes it back after nothing more than a lot of touching and inserting his finger into her vagina forcefully which, by the way, IS RAPE.

Apparently "romances" used to be a lot worse than this. I came to the genre a perfect innocent and never knew. I thought people were ashamed of these novels because they were mushy, light and not very well written, not because they're actually chock-full of heteronormative, rape culture sustaining bullshit like this.

Anyway. This novel was not badly written per se, but the heroine was dull as sticks, there were grubby-faced little angels and sexual assault was used as a stepping stone into twoo wuv.

Repulsive.