I found a first printing copy of this in a used books store and was instantly charmed. I mean, look at it!
It's exactly what it looks like, too.
Reactions, in order:
- Oh, this is DARLING.
- So many characters casually named. *writes down names*
- Hmm, idealized heroine and not-as-pretty nemesis, not my favourite stuff.
- Patsie should marry me.
- Oh man I want to write one of these.
- Bit bored now.
- Interesting balance between imperfect and romantic with the Castleton family, but I'd still rather be reading about the Sixth Form sans Lorraine and Claudia.
- Omg Lorraine and Miss Lindsay are so having steamy makeouts off-screen.
- Good heavens, it's the period between the invention of rhythmic dancing and the bunny-hop, as well as the period when painting incredibly twee fairy pictures was a respectable artistic career.
- So predictable. Oh well.
- OF COURSE foreigners are spies.
- I am so writing lesbian fanfiction in my head, holy shit.
- Patsie is still perfect.
- Wow that was formulaic yet strangely enjoyable.