vilja

Vilja Reads

I'm a student, so I don't have nearly as much time for leisure reading as I'd like. If I manage to read an entire course book instead of just the assigned chapters, I'll review that here, too.

Prescription For Murder

Murder, She Wrote: Prescription For Murder - Jessica Fletcher, Donald Bain

I picked up this book because I unashamedly love Murder, She Wrote and figured you really couldn't go very wrong with formulaic murder fluff. But turns out it just wasn't very good.

Meticulously researched and plotted, yes, but it rather read like a tour guide to Tampa and Havana crossed with a Learn English book - where every point in the plot is elaborated and repeated several times over in clear and precise sentences. It also seemed to be set in a world that uses thumb drives but also still uses letters and notes to communicate, though I suppose that could be because many of the central characters were senior citizens.

The clues and keypoints were laid out with writers' workshop precision, so I wonder why the author made such a key error in a mystery novel: not have his detective actually detect anything? Jessica appeared to be just along for the ride and the meals, described in detail down to ingredients.

As an episode script, it would have been just fine. As a whole book, however short, it was tedious. More passion, even at the cost of clarity, might work out better next time.