vilja

Vilja Reads

I'm a student, so I don't have nearly as much time for leisure reading as I'd like. If I manage to read an entire course book instead of just the assigned chapters, I'll review that here, too.

Family Affair

Family Affair - Saxon Bennett

It's very rare that I don't finish a novel, even a bad one. After the first page I was still giving Family Affair a chance; after the fourth, I was only reading so I could say I knew what I was talking about when rating it (some novels do pick up towards the end); at about one fifth into the book I was done.

It was not just the erratic punctuation, the clunky sentences, the one-dimensional characters, or the Ikea erotica. It was a little bit how she was obviously writing her own writing into her writing by making her protagonist a writer and a member of a writers' group, but mainly it was how the text spent ages on trips to the pharmacy and worrying about dinnerware, while a life-changing decision and a proposal get half a page each.

That was too much. This novel did what not even Midshipwizard Halcyon Blythe or The Snow-Kissed Bride could do, and forced me to put it down. And this novel won an award? It didn't even seem to have been edited!

Call me unfair, for being so harsh without having finished the novel. It's true, I don't know what I'm talking about, but I just couldn't go on further.