vilja

Vilja Reads

I'm a student, so I don't have nearly as much time for leisure reading as I'd like. If I manage to read an entire course book instead of just the assigned chapters, I'll review that here, too.

The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials, Book 2)

The Subtle Knife  - Philip Pullman Note: This is not a review so much as some of my thoughts on the book that assumes you know the series already. Spoilers ahoy.

I just KNEW there'd be deamon erotica in this series eventually. Hot monkey on snake action, people. This is the real reason the mothers of America should be worried.

It's interesting how the way the characters have to concentrate in order to communicate with or manipulate Dust. It seems to suggest meditation techniques - clearing your mind, concentration without intensity, a kind of a mental state of permissiveness - this is how you meditate and tap into chi/mana/kundalini. Dust seems more intellectual and material than just "life force", but if chi could be equated with Dust/dark matter/universal consciousness expressing itself through elementary particles, it really resembles what Robert Anton Wilson suggested in Quantum Psychology: he said the the non-local correlations of particles suggested a universal/divine consciousness, and that that is what Buddha was trying to tell us about. I always kind of liked that idea.