vilja

Vilja Reads

I'm a student, so I don't have nearly as much time for leisure reading as I'd like. If I manage to read an entire course book instead of just the assigned chapters, I'll review that here, too.

The Pagan Christ: Recovering the Lost Light

The Pagan Christ: Recovering the Lost Light - Tom Harpur Written by a lifelong Christian theologian who became convinced at late age that the Bible story was a mythology without historical basis, this book is rather earnest and repetitive, and not really written for a confirmed heathen such as myself. Much of the word count is spent on asserting, time and again, the central learning Harpur wants us to walk away with: that Christianity was at its inception a mystery faith based on a long history of mystery faiths, and that realising this does not diminish but may save modern Christianity. He wants the church to go back to its Gnostic origins, renounce the literalist revision of the third and fourth centuries, and begin to teach a doctrine of spiritual awakening and the divine within.

The rest of the book is spent showing the work of others in discovering the Egyptian origins of many Bible stories and drawing parallels between Jesus and his story and the stories of other dying and resurrected gods. I don't find the book as reliable as I'd like - Harpur seems to think women had equality in the ancient world and that all Egyptians believed they would one day become one with God - and it does rather bend everything to fit its message, but there, I read it, and it's opened up new venues of research I might look into next.