vilja

Vilja Reads

I'm a student, so I don't have nearly as much time for leisure reading as I'd like. If I manage to read an entire course book instead of just the assigned chapters, I'll review that here, too.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell: A Novel

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell - Susanna Clarke Actually a really good book. Loved the detail and all the footnotes. But in case you have no patience to read a long and rambly book, but want to know what happens, here's a recap:

---

Mr Norrell
I've spent all my life studying magic and now I'm going to revive it in England. By which I mean I want everyone to see how good I am and admire me. Fairy, revive Lady Pole so the cabinet ministers will be impressed with me.

The gentleman with thistle-down hair
Ooh, how pretty! (Revives Lady Pole, then enchants her and makes her dance in his house every night.)

Oops.

Jonathan Strange
I am young, talented and arrogant. I never resolved my issues with my father so I'm going to become Mr Norrell's pupil and rebel against him with all my might. (He does.)

Mr Norrell
The Raven King of the north is a fable.

The Raven King rules!

Fairies are dangerous.

Fairies rule!

The gentleman with thistle-down hair
(Steals people.)

(Invisible bells ring, objects disappear and new ones are put in their place, people act strangely, as if enchanted.)

Mrs Strange
There's a curious gentleman living at the Poles who tells me stories about fairies all the time. You know Lady Pole? The strange woman who complains of music and says what a drag it is to dance every night, and babbles on about fairies?

Jonathan Strange
That's nice, dear. Not now, though, I need to study magic some more. Did you know invisible bells are associated with the appearance of fairies?

The gentleman
(Steals Mrs Strange and puts a stinky wet moss-oak in her place.)

Jonathan Strange
Good heavens, dear, you don't look well.

Moss-oak
I'm a tree.

Jonathan Strange
I think you need to lie down.

Moss-oak
(Does, and dies.)

Oh no! Arabella!

Mr Norrell
I really miss Jonathan Strange, so I'm going to villify him in every newspaper and destroy his life's work.

Jonathan Strange
To get over Arabella's death, I will throw myself in my work. I wonder if I can find a way to Faerie. (Does.) OMG WTF FAIRIES STEAL PEOPLE!!

Lady Pole
DUH.

Jonathan Strange
Norrell, let's summon the Raven King so he can help us free my wife.

Norrell
Magic! Oh, I love magic. Didn't you hate me, though?

Maybe later.

(They do magic. A giant raven almost eats them. Secondary characters save the enchanted people.)

Norrell
They're saved! We're the best magicians ever.

The Raven King
I planned the whole thing.

English Magic