vilja

Vilja Reads

I'm a student, so I don't have nearly as much time for leisure reading as I'd like. If I manage to read an entire course book instead of just the assigned chapters, I'll review that here, too.

A Patriotic Schoolgirl

A Patriotic Schoolgirl - Angela Brazil,  Balliol Salmon Impulsive 15-year-old Marjorie Anderson starts at the ridiculous girls' school of Brackenfield, where deportment is everything and the staff reads your mail as a matter of course. This takes place during the Great War, and so knitting socks for soldiers is also a part of the school curriculum.

And from there on we get intrigue! German prisoners of war! not-even-subtextual-anymore lesbianism! spies! misunderstandings! more knitting!

The low point of the book is a little boy that Marjorie and her sister befriend, who is chronically ill. Nothing wrong with that, except the boy is obsessed with fairies and so teeth-rottingly twee I need a new filling. It was also a little too easy to guess the book's central mystery, which wasn't even introduced until somewhere around the midpoint of the book.

I was still entertained!